Power of Mum® Episode 3: Gentle, Peaceful Parenting, feminism and the identity of mother in today's society
My guest this week is Eloise Rickman, mother of Frida and author of www.fridabemighty.com, a brilliant website that chronicles Eloise and Frida's adventures via homeschooling and gentle parenting. Passionate about peaceful parenting, creating meaningful family rhythms, and incorporating a Montessori philosophy into her home,
Things we discuss in this podcast:
- The role of the mother in society - how staying at home to raise our children can be the ultimate feminist act
- Celebrating raising children as a beautiful adventure
- Why learning in its own right is a privilege
- Celebrating work for its own moral joy, not just a means to a financial end
- The importance of the outdoors and its impact to improve everyone's mental health
- An organic adventure - from learning about alternative parenting methods with her own child to creating a beautiful business that helps other parents
- Praise and punishment - are these outdated concepts and do they work with kids?
- Why women often seem to end up staying small in their ambitions - does this happen in our responses to praise at school?
Books we discuss:
How Children Learn, 50th anniversary edition by John Holt